Friday, May 31, 2013

Thank someone for a "lollipop moment"




No matter what, i always try to embrace that lame and cheesy, and frankly ANNOYING phrase of "treat others the way you want to be treated" that we all learn in elementary. As much as i hate those words, i do try to embrace them. If its some tiny situation, like just staying and talking to someone when their friends arent there, i will make the effort to stay. Why? Because i wouldnt want to be in that situation myself, i HATE that awkward situation of having my friends not with me, and oddly finding a friend i dont talk to as much and talking to them. Theres people that will aknowledge the people that come up to them in that way, but still pay more attention to the group that they were already talking to, but then theres other people, like what i try to be, that will force myself out of the group i was in, and give the awkward person my attention instead. I know i hate that situation, and i'd love if more people did that, if more people thought the way i do in certain situations like that. I know that if i was that awkward person who was left without my friends there with me for whatever reason, i would be sooo grateful to someone who would make the attempt to stop the awkwardness. I do it, and i know it makes a difference in their head, having that relief of "oh good, someone to talk to so im not alone."
I've had people do little things here and there that im really glad for at the moment, that make a difference in my mood for the day, or my outlook on certain things. Maybe they haven't completely changed my life in some spectacular way, but that tiny action had an impact. Maybe ive had an impact in that way as well.
My way of thinking in that empathetic way, thinking that i did make a tiny difference, all came tgether one day in English. We were watching a TED video which i thought was so inspiring and true, it really kind of put words to how i thought about things, and it is my favorite of all the TED videos ive seen. It's short, but its a good video; it motivated me to thank someone for a future "lollipop moment."


No comments:

Post a Comment