Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Visit the Parthenon

Image result for "greek mythology"When I first learned about Greek mythology I was about 8. I checked out a book from the library (it was 2005, I didn't google to learn things yet) and immediately was so interested in learning all the stories. 3 years later sitting in 4th period World History, the topic of ancient Greece came up. Again with the gods, we googled (finally) the specific stories assigned to each of us. I was so interested by Hermes at the time because in astrology he is the ruler of the Gemini sign and the more i learned about him, the cooler he became to me. So by the time we got to reading the Odyssey in freshmen honors english, i was more than excited to do the Greek god unit yet again. We were assigned a god/goddess/titan/hero to personify. I was ecstatic to receive Athena as the goddess I was to research, dress up as, and share stories about. She was my favorite goddess and I learned so much, like how and why Athens chose her as their patron goddess instead of Poseidon. From that point on I wanted to visit Athens and go see the temple constructed in her honor.
Luckily while studying her in Florence I was lucky enough to plan a trip last minute with 2 friends to spend the weekend 5 minutes from the entrance of the Acropolis where the Parthenon was. Sadly it was being restored on the side where the top point with all the statues of her life used to be.I still got good pictures though :)
                         

No comments:

Post a Comment